FPS HELP!!!>piecer the slow 1

We were all noobs once -need a map or have you forgotten how to hammer launch?
PIECER
Uber Fragger

FPS HELP!!!>piecer the slow 1

Post by PIECER » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:15 am

I installed a GF6800GT and my ut gets 16 fps..AA is appcontrolled/off..antitrophic is appcontrolled/off..vsync is appcontrolled/off. Funny because all other games run faster now except my most favorite game :( Opengl driver I updated already because direct3d the game runs jittery so I switched to opengl. Running P4 3.0 GIG 1GIG of memory. Thanks

Megor
Noob Forever / Michael Bolton Lover

Post by Megor » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:38 pm

I thought you got a gf4 :P

Have you tried reinstalling and then patching to 436 on the fresh isntall?

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin
Favorite Weapon: Impact Hammer!

Post by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm

With that hardware, there's no reason you should be getting an FPS nearly as low as that.

If your other games run fine, I'd say it's gotta be a problem with UT.

So...
"Have you tried reinstalling and then patching to 436 on the fresh isntall?"
You and the Cap'n make it happen!

dddevil
Forum Member

Post by dddevil » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:26 pm

i also have a gf6800 and everything about it is awesome, except when a map loads i'm always the last to join, on my old crappy card i was always first.

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:32 pm

First things first, Welcome !!!

This is all a big conspiracy. We sent elite members of {qoou} to sabotage your UT so you would have to come here and post!!! :)

Just to try and cover all the bases using a systematic approach we need to make sure you have done the following items.

I assume your running Windows XP, cuz UT don't work so good under ver 3.1 :)

It's probably a good idea to Print this msg out. For reference when working in the BIOS.

There are two settings in the BIOS that can affect UT. Both should be disabled. Yours maybe worded differently but should be similar enough to find in the Advanced Chipset or elsewhere in your Bios.

1. Video Ram Cachable - Disabled
2. PCI/VGA Pallete Snoop - Disabled

In case you don't know to get to your BIOS - Reboot, then right away press the Delete Key to enter BIOS, search for the 2 settings verfiy/disable, save the BIOS then reboot.

Don't have Kaaza or some other P2P program running in the background (i.e. downloading Cap'ts Oblivious American Idol Audition tape,.... not worth it any ways.... Sry Capt.) Sounds like a no-brainer but.... it had to be said. :)

Do you have latest DirectX installed? I think 9.0 is latest. This is needed because the Nvida drivers need it.

What is your Monitor Refresh Rate? As an example mine is set for 85 hertz. There are 2 places to check and make sure they are the same. 1 is in your Display Properties (right click on the desktop) and the other is in your unrealtournament.ini file under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] RefreshRate=85 If your unrealtournament.ini doesn't have this option, read on... more later.

Do you have the latest drivers for your Video Card? This should be the link, but verify before downloading. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html Don't rely on Windows update to give the proper ones. If you download the latest and they don't work right you can always roll back to original ones. (In XP)

Do you have the latest OpenGL renderer for UT? According to the web site the latest stable OpenGL renderer is version 3.1 Web site & download here. http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ There are a few links to defferent OpenGL renderers on the web, the ones from this web site are tried and tested. Read below for info to install.

Installation instructions
Go to your UnrealTournament\System directory. Make a backup of your old OpenGLDrv.dll (for instance rename to OpenGLDrv.dll_orig) in case the new one doesn't work. Then put the new OpenGLDrv.dll in your UnrealTournament\System directory. This one contains a number of optimizations that should improve performance over the base UT 4.36 OpenGL renderer. It also contains a number of new options, which are described further down on this page.

Here is an example of a modified [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section from the unrealtournament.ini file. Copy and paste this into the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section in the unrealtournament.ini file

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
AAFilterHint=0
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
FrameRateLimit=85 <-- change it if your monitor is'nt running at 85hz
SwapInterval=-1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=2
BufferClippedActorTris=False
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=False
RefreshRate=85 <-- change it if your monitor is'nt running at 85hz
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False <-- u might wanna change this to true for a big performance increase also set 16bit in UT options
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.400000
LODBias=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=

After all that start UT in Safe mode (from the Start/Unrealtourment Folder) and choose Change your 3D Video Device, then select Show All Devices, pick OpenGL Support from the list and see what happens. Let us know how it goes. There may be things I am missing, but these should help alot. UT is different and older than probaly most of your games and needs a little more atttention to tweak.

De...

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 pm

De_Fault wrote:Don't have Kaaza or some other P2P program running in the background (i.e. downloading Cap'ts Obvious American Idol Audition tape,.... not worth it any ways.... Sry Capt.) Sounds like a no-brainer but.... it had to be said. :)
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

It's not my fault that America is unable to appreciate my ability to sing Who Let The Dogs Out in falsetto.

PIECER
Uber Fragger

Done suggestions

Post by PIECER » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:53 am

Ok I deleted all ut folder and reinstalled, did ut436 patch..I dont have video ram cachable in bios but UT says when I load a map "PRECACHING" it never did before. My bios doesnt have pci/vga pallette option either. I downloaded opengl driver from your link did that..pasted over from post the .ini part and changed my refresh rate. Loaded it in safe mode, chose opengl driver..loaded practice session and same fps :( Actually my past RR was 60 and i got 16fps but when I changed display and .ini file to 85 my fps dropped to 11!!! ouch so I switched it back to 60 on both. I have directx 9.0C so that is current and I have latest nvidia driver already installed double checked that one...Thanks!!! for help really appreciate it!

Megor

Re: Done suggestions

Post by Megor » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:19 pm

PIECER wrote:Ok I deleted all ut folder and reinstalled, did ut436 patch..I dont have video ram cachable in bios but UT says when I load a map "PRECACHING" it never did before. My bios doesnt have pci/vga pallette option either. I downloaded opengl driver from your link did that..pasted over from post the .ini part and changed my refresh rate. Loaded it in safe mode, chose opengl driver..loaded practice session and same fps :( Actually my past RR was 60 and i got 16fps but when I changed display and .ini file to 85 my fps dropped to 11!!! ouch so I switched it back to 60 on both. I have directx 9.0C so that is current and I have latest nvidia driver already installed double checked that one...Thanks!!! for help really appreciate it!
what fps do you get in d3d?

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:53 pm

So sorry to hear that Piecer :( but never give, never surrender, we'll figure it out. :)

Regarding the issue of Precaching, that can be disabled in the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section of you unrealtournament.ini file. Change the following line to read false.

UsePrecache=True <- Set this to false to stop the precaching of maps.

After typing all the questions below, I did a google on your vid card and found this. Someone else had the same problem and switched back to "older drivers". Could be something's borked in your card and doesn't like new drivers. Here's a link to point you in the direction so you can download older drivers.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/in ... 11932.html

I'd try the older vid card drivers (leave on the latest OpenGL drivers for UT) and see what happens. If this doesn't fix it, then be prepared to answer some more questions.

What motherboard do you have?

Do you have any mutators, mods installed ?

Is there any difference in framerates between offline and online play?

What video resolution are you running at in UT?

What type of monitor CTR or flat screen?

Do you install the textures off the 2nd CD? (don't)

Try running the diagnostics for DirectX. It's a program called dxDiag.exe in the \windows\system32\ directory. Lots of good info there. Any errors?

Are you getting these FPS numbers from running Timedemo Statisics from the Tools Menu?

Hope this helps, let us know.

De...

Megor

Post by Megor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:22 am

*Which* open gl file did you try?

http://www.unrealtournament.com/utgoty/opengldrv.zip

sometimes works better

Megor

Post by Megor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 am

*Which* open gl file did you try?

http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewo ... 090602.zip

sometimes works better
Last edited by Megor on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:28 am

I think the problem was there before any OpenGL was used. (other than default that came with UT)

btw Megor that link is dead. Or was when I tried it.

Megor

Post by Megor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:31 am

It's probably not a hardware problem, since all his other games run fine.

PIECER
Uber Fragger

Answers

Post by PIECER » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 am

Ill answer your questions in order with commas :D First all Megor D3d runs same FPS but jittery couldnt stand it. I changed Precache to False, I played the game with drivers that came on cd with gpx card and had the same fps so switching back the drivers is there a point in that? Still at updated drivers currently. Default here is your answers in order of your questions: Gateway Pc Intel Desktop D915GAV MB, No, No, 1024x768, Nvidia Settings says Monitor is a SONY HMD-A240 but DirectDIag says monitor is a SONY CPD-G220R so i dont know what is up with that. No, no errors in directdiag. I ran time statistics demo and playing about 5 minutes practice session it said AVG 59 and LAST SEC 59. something something. Note that game ran the same under this time stat..it seems odd but it doesnt really feel like this whole time im playing with only 16 fps but im just going by STAT FPS that displays on bottom of screen.

I ran ut2004 since the latest drivers where installed and that sucker still I get 80-130 fps..but not concerned about that game anyways.

Thanks!

PIECER
Uber Fragger

Screenshot of fps/time stat

Post by PIECER » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 am

Well I wanted to post a screen shot but I cant figure it out..Guess thats why im a noob poster here :D[/img]

PIECER
Uber Fragger

Post by PIECER » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:42 am

What is the meaning of the time statistics numbers? Is that fps numbers or what?

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Re: Answers

Post by De_Fault » Mon May 08, 2006 1:08 am

PIECER wrote: but im just going by STAT FPS that displays on bottom of screen.
STAT FPS is more for mappers to let them view framerates, poly counts, nodes, etc, so they can adjust thier maps if need be.

The TIMEDEMO STATISTICS is where you will see what your framerate is. fps = framerate per second.

56 seems low on a machine like yours, but if its running ok for you, go with it I guess.

TIMEDEMO STATISTICS results will vary though on different maps. If you are going to test drivers, settings, you should always use the same map with TIMEDEMO STATISTICS.

Heres what I get on AS-Frigate, insta, offline, LeagueAS, OpenGL

Somewhere out there, I remember someone made a map with low poly count that could be used for a benchmark. Also there was/is a benchmarking program.

I must have missed something early on in this thread cuz I thought you were only getting 16fps in TIMEDEMO STATISTICS. lol

PIECER
Uber Fragger

Post by PIECER » Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 am

Yea 56-59 is low fps but I will go with it oh well. Like I said I didnt think i was running 16 fps anyways thats why I was confused.

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Mon May 08, 2006 9:10 am

hmmmm why do I get the following when I enter TIMEDEMO STATISTICS? :P

"TimeDemo - bad or missing property 'bEnabled'"