Ports?

We were all noobs once -need a map or have you forgotten how to hammer launch?
Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Ports?

Post by Rickshaw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:50 pm

I need some help with my ports for my new internet connection. I have been getting constant 400+ pings on a cable line and someone just told me I need to designate the ports for the game. I didn't have to do that back at home, but I'll try anything just to get my ping below 80 again.

So does anyone know how I designate the ports in my routers firmware and what ports to use? Are they the UT ports such as 7777 and 7778?

:cry:

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:37 pm

hmmm, first--whats the make and model of your router? second--catch me on MSN :P
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Post by Rickshaw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Linksys wrt45g. And I'll be on MSN for a little while tonight, and tomorrow in the evening :D

smantie
1337 H4X0R XTREME
Favorite Weapon: Rox / Sniper

Post by smantie » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:52 am

Yeah I've got the same problem at college.. I ping 6000 on DoG Standard, normal on DoG Custom and {qoou}, and 4000 on all the match servers.
Go Alucard, go go Go!

{qoou}Smantie | ~dzz~Batman! | [-L-]Smantz! | =[NWA]=Elif4zagg!n | [ADC]endgegnerrr | =[SveK]=Tensta! | A*Team|Hannibal

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin
Favorite Weapon: Impact Hammer!

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:33 am

makes me wonder if universities are purposely blocking certain types of traffic...
You and the Cap'n make it happen!

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:makes me wonder if universities are purposely blocking certain types of traffic...
ding ding ding!!, we have a winner :P
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:02 pm

special_Kare wrote:ding ding ding!!, we have a winner :P
Yes, which makes me wonder if there's a way to encrypt UT traffic, allowing players to get around the university filters.

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:05 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:
special_Kare wrote:ding ding ding!!, we have a winner :P
Yes, which makes me wonder if there's a way to encrypt UT traffic, allowing players to get around the university filters.
you are on a roll!! :thumbup2:
--Hunter S. Thompson

Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Post by Rickshaw » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:makes me wonder if universities are purposely blocking certain types of traffic...
I live in a house that is off campus, so that shouldn't (I hope :( ) affect me.

However, the cable company that provides the cable TV just recently started offering cable internet service. They might just be a terrible service or are still working out kinks, if any (I know absolutely nothing about servers, networking, etc :D)

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:50 pm

Rickshaw wrote:However, the cable company that provides the cable TV just recently started offering cable internet service.
So basically this is yet another problem that we can blame on newbs. :P

Denial
Deck16 Whore

Post by Denial » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Rickshaw wrote:
I live in a house that is off campus, so that shouldn't (I hope :( ) affect me.

However, the cable company that provides the cable TV just recently started offering cable internet service. They might just be a terrible service or are still working out kinks, if any (I know absolutely nothing about servers, networking, etc :D)
The way cable works, you're on a shared connection, so the more users that sign up, the slower your connection will go since you have to share it with everyone else. Usually it'll be slow during peak times of the day and pick up at nights/early mornings.

DSL is probably better for your connection speeds. That or with such deep pockets like yours you should go for the T1! It's full duplex so you get simultaneous upload and download at 1.5mbits!

;)

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:38 pm

Why stop there? Tap into the backbone of the internet with a OC-768 connection, and enjoy speeds of up to 39,813.12 Mbit/s. :thumbup2:

Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Post by Rickshaw » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:46 am

Denial wrote:
The way cable works, you're on a shared connection, so the more users that sign up, the slower your connection will go since you have to share it with everyone else. Usually it'll be slow during peak times of the day and pick up at nights/early mornings.

DSL is probably better for your connection speeds. That or with such deep pockets like yours you should go for the T1! It's full duplex so you get simultaneous upload and download at 1.5mbits!

;)
There are 8 people in the house but there are usually at least 3 people gone at one time. However, there are 2 people that download torrents 24/7. I know torrents slowed down my other applications when I had DSL back at home, but I thought the higher speed of cable would've been able to compensate for that.

I have actually been talking about getting DSL with the guy in the room next to mine. It's only $24.95 a month and divided between two people, it's only $2.50 more than I'm paying right now.
Captain_Obvious wrote:Why stop there? Tap into the backbone of the internet with a OC-768 connection, and enjoy speeds of up to 39,813.12 Mbit/s. :thumbup2:
Yes, I want that one. Who do I give my money to? You? I have two dump trucks full of money just asking to be dumped :wink:

Denial
Deck16 Whore

Post by Denial » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:03 am

I'd reccomend DSL service with speakeasy! We provide quality tech support for premium pricing! ;)

You might actually check into Verizon FIOS if it's available. They're pretty cheap for awesome speeds.

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Or the cheaper route would be to just sneak onto you friends' computers, and cap their torrent download speeds at say 50 kbps.

Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Post by Rickshaw » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:37 pm

Denial wrote:I'd reccomend DSL service with speakeasy! We provide quality tech support for premium pricing! ;)

You might actually check into Verizon FIOS if it's available. They're pretty cheap for awesome speeds.
Since the town is so small there is only one DSL service available (Infobahn) :(
Captain_Obvious wrote:Or the cheaper route would be to just sneak onto you friends' computers, and cap their torrent download speeds at say 50 kbps.
Hmmmm :brow:

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 pm

Denial wrote:I'd reccomend DSL service with speakeasy! We provide quality tech support for premium pricing! ;)

omg! you corporate whore!@ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
--Hunter S. Thompson

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Or the cheaper route would be to just sneak onto you friends' computers, and cap their torrent download speeds at say 50 kbps.
actually the better route is to cap the upload speed, there is alot less bandwidth on the upload side with DSL, and UT needs alot of that upload speed to sync your player position on servers, just go into thier preferences and put a global cap of about 10kbps :wink:
--Hunter S. Thompson

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:00 pm

Oh I figured that capping upload speeds along with the download speeds went without saying. :wink:

Denial
Deck16 Whore

Post by Denial » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Hell or just turn them over to the RIAA and you have access to your own connection with no other users! or MPAA if they're downlolading movies.

Rickshaw
1337 H4X0R XTREME

Post by Rickshaw » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:29 pm

Denial wrote:Hell or just turn them over to the RIAA and you have access to your own connection with no other users! or MPAA if they're downlolading movies.
But then I'll have to pay $105 more for rent each month! :(

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:24 pm

Rickshaw wrote:But then I'll have to pay $105 more for rent each month! :(
If it means getting a fellow qoou back in the game, I'm pretty sure that our members would be happy to chip in to cover that $105. :shock:
(never mind the fact that just getting DSL would be cheaper.)

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Oh I figured that capping upload speeds along with the download speeds went without saying. :wink:
oh i figured that there is no need to cap d/l, thus his roomates wont notice slowness in downloads, upload is what really affects it.
--Hunter S. Thompson

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 am

Oh I figured you're retarded. ggs.

:wink:

special_Kare
Server Admin

Post by special_Kare » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:21 am

:roflmao: case closed
--Hunter S. Thompson