Huh ? Canadian Skill Testing ???

Everyone cares about what you have to say.
De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Huh ? Canadian Skill Testing ???

Post by De_Fault » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:46 pm

I whipped into McDonalds today for a bite and when I got my receipt it said look on the back for a survey and a chance to win prizes, etc...

Printed on the receipt are things I don't quite understand the reasoning for, hopefully our neighbors from the north can enlighten me.

As I read it, only people from Province of Quebec are ineligible to win prizes from the survey. Why is that? In the US I think this has to do with some sort of Gambling thing, (game of chance) Is gambling legal throughout Canada except in Quebec?

"In order to win, a Canadian resident must correctly answer a skill-testing question"

The choice of 3 languages is interesting English (most common language in US), Spanish (spoken by a large number of US population), but French is more likely directed to the French-Canadian participants. Why do they have to answer a "skill-testing" question? Why don't the English and Spanish speaking participants have the same requirement?

When I went to the Survey site to read up on this, you are given three options of Language, Spanish, English and French. I don't read French or Spanish, but no where on the English Page did I see a explanation of the "Canadian Skill Test".

I assume there is McDonalds in Canada right? I am curious if this a McDonalds related "skill-testing" question or a "are you really a French speaking Canadian question"?

If someone would be so kind to goto the Survey web site printed on the receipt and read the French page and enlighten me.

:lol: If this is a McDonalds "skills-testing" question, what the hell would it be? How much does a quarter-pounder weigh in grams?

Megor
Noob Forever / Michael Bolton Lover

Post by Megor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Yah it's just a rule in Canada that all contests have a skill testing question, otherwise its a game of pure chance (aka gambling).

Quebec is messed up is all I can say everything is different for them.

I remeber when I won this contest on oddjobjack.com (I won an xbox + beer fridge and other stuff) I had to answer some simple math problem before they would give it to me, let me tell you I went over that question again and again and again!

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin
Favorite Weapon: Impact Hammer!

Post by Captain_Obvious » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:33 am

In other news, De has wayyyyy too much time on his hands. ;)
You and the Cap'n make it happen!

PHatHome666
Script Kiddie
Favorite Weapon: Ripper

Post by PHatHome666 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:11 am

In other news, I tried to see what you had but I can't read it :?
Wait... what?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Before.
After.

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:06 am

PHatHome666 wrote:In other news, I tried to see what you had but I can't read it :?
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Me too. I even tried flipping the image horizontally and sharpening it, but I wasn't going to mention that, because it proves that I also have too much time on my hands. :roflmao:

PHatHome666
Script Kiddie

Post by PHatHome666 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:02 pm

I tried doing that too :roll:
Wait... what?
Before.
After.

Megor

Post by Megor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Its readable on my computer?

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Megor wrote:Its readable on my computer?
We're talking about reading the back side of the receipt. (I guess it would really be the front side)

I'm pretty sure that not even your magical microsoft computer can do that.

Megor

Post by Megor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Megor wrote:Its readable on my computer?
We're talking about reading the back side of the receipt. (I guess it would really be the front side)

I'm pretty sure that not even your magical microsoft computer can do that.
Well we can tell he eats here:
http://www.google.ca/local?f=l&hl=en&q= ... 053902&t=h

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Yep, and I think that really just confirms what all of us already suspected. That De scrapes his lunch off of random spots on the side of the highway. :wink:

Where he gets all these Mc Donalds receipts remains a mystery. :wink:

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Yep, and I think that really just confirms what all of us already suspected. That De scrapes his lunch off of random spots on the side of the highway. :wink:

Where he gets all these Mc Donalds receipts remains a mystery. :wink:
The receipt was in the bag I found there along with the chicken nuggets, or at least I think they were chicken nuggets. :shock:

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:06 pm

Damn Internet, no privacy anymore.

Last year, I went out of town to remove and install a new sign at a Lodge in the town of Cle Elum. After a 3 1/2 hour drive, we got there and busted our butts taking the old wooden sign down and digging new foundations for the new sign. We needed to get this done in a hurry because concrete (9 1/2 yards) was coming at a predetermined time. We had time so I went across the street to get some food.

Mrs. De, who was missing here hubby (and also works for the same company I do) decides to see if there are any webcams in the area we are in. Well son of bit&* if there isn't one. At the moment she logs in (with the entire shop watching over her shoulder, including the boss) what do they see? De walking back from the Burger King across the street happily munching on my whooper. They literaly panned the fu&*(%^ webcam and follwed me till I was out of site of the cam.

Then the shop called and told us we need to work faster, harder, and De needs to stop eating BK. My partner laughed it off, then asked how they knew De went to Burger King. They told us of the webcam. We spent the next 1 1/2 days avoiding that fu*&^& camera. lol I still catch crap over eating lunch to this day. My partner and I are always watching for webcams also.

The webcam they used is here. http://71.39.192.2:81/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0

Pan left (not the Windemere sign) to see the sign we worked on. Pan right (across the road, Burger King) see what a nice view they had my entire walk back to the truck. lol bastards !!!

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Thx for the explanation Megor, I figured it had to be something like that because nothing else made sense. :)

I was curious and also had to dust off my scanner ( for a project for the mrs. so I scanned the reciept)

Bitchy
Script Kiddie

Post by Bitchy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:01 pm

You can find the information about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_testing_question

With respect to Quebec, gaming and liquor laws are under the jurisdiction of the provinces in Canada and I believe that Quebec has outlawed many forms of contests.

De_Fault
Elite Fragger

Post by De_Fault » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:23 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:In other news, De has wayyyyy too much time on his hands. ;)
Not nearly as much as the people who did this video.

It starts with a Japanese anime that last approx 1min 30sec, then that actual video starts. Some of these are pretty cool like the magnet one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 67&pl=true

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:33 am

lol I've seen that. I think they're trying to drive us crazy with that song at the end of each one.

Here's one long machine that makes your dinner for you: :wink:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1kvdq8cRNBM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1kvdq8cRNBM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lorus
Script Kiddie

Post by Lorus » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:13 am

Poor Frenchies are always missing out on contests.
The skill testing question is usually something like 10(4 + 2) - 6 = ?. Super simple stuff and if the person gets it wrong then they deserve to be stoned.
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive…” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”

Captain_Obvious
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Obvious » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Lorus wrote:Super simple stuff and if the person gets it wrong then they deserve to be stoned.
:toker:

PHatHome666
Script Kiddie

Post by PHatHome666 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:43 pm

But what if they are already stoned 8), AND WHAT IF THEY GET IT RIGHT!!!
Wait... what?
Before.
After.

Lorus
Script Kiddie

Post by Lorus » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:11 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:Here's one long machine that makes your dinner for you: :wink:
I guess the Japanese don't have their own word for bowling. All that work for instant noodles though. Geesh!
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive…” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”